29 May 2012

Garden Shazaam!

Last week - well, the Canadian May Long Weekend (Victoria Day), Manthing and I put in the garden. I should say gardens because we have more than one now. Most of the weekend was beautiful, and Manthing loves the garden so he happily played outside while I worked on laundry and the kitchen, and and and all the things that need to get done in a house.

When it was finally time for me to come out and help with the planting, it started to rain. Manthing beat a hasty retreat (so much for 'snakes and snails and puppy dog tails', he thought he was made of sugar and was going to melt). I, on the other hand, figured if I didn't do it now, in the rain, it wasn't happening, so out I went in the miserable weather, and planted my medicine gutters.

Then I planted the annuals in the front - we decided on annuals up there because I want to build a deck around the front of the house, and so didn't want to spend the money on perennials just to tear them out later this summer or early next spring.

The rain let up on Monday evening just long enough for Manthing to dig out the new kidney shaped garden in the front. Or at least most of it, anyhow. There's a stump that is home to a colony of ants that needs removing, so next time he is home we're going to tear that out and finish up that little bed - maybe raise it too.

Anyhow, here's some shots from The May Long.
My herbs are all in pots this year. I am theorizing this will allow me to maximize their sun.
This will eventually be kidney shaped. Also, that hideous cable box may be on my property and not the city easement, in which case I will give them 2 weeks to move it before I hack it to bits with an axe. Okay, maybe I won't do that, but I will remove it if it is on my property.
Tomatoes in the back, strawberries in the front. That centre aisle will be carrots.
Gardening is dirty work. And I don't really like shoes in the summer.
Doesn't look like much now, but it's going to be ah-mah-zing!

No comments:

Post a Comment